Are you interested in taking your skating even further?
Contact one of our coaches for one-on-one lessons.
Alexsandr “Sasha” Nagorny
Currently accepting new students
BACKGROUND & COACHING EXPERIENCE: In Sasha’s personal skating career he was the member of Ukrainian National Figure Skating Team, Pair Dance Gold and Silver Medalist of Ukrainian National Championships (1970-1976). His students won numerous competitions including Ukrainian National Championships (Gold medals) and Soviet Union Youth National Championships (Bronze medals). Sasha’s students are expected to participate in ballet and physical culture every week to improve their on-ice performance. In addition to the 6-10 competitions that Sasha’s students participate in every year, he also has a summer and winter birthday party for his students, two exhbitions and a rigorous two-week camp.
Sasha began teaching figure skating in 1967 in Kiev, Ukraine (the former Soviet Union)
In 1975 he graduated from Ukrainian State Academy of Physical Education and Sports and obtained his Masters Degree as a coach and a choreographer.
In 1999 Sasha joined the professional staff of the BGSU Ice Arena. He founded BGSU Ice Arena School of Specialized Skating Instruction and was the Head Coach of this school until August 2001
Currently, Sasha continues this program on the private basis. He is teaching skaters of all levels and ages in Freestyle, Moves on the Field, Dance, Pair Skating, Choreography, and OFF Ice classes. For the last 2 years his students have successfully participated in different competitions and won many medals.
Sasha is a PSA and USFSA member since 1999.
BACKGROUND & COACHING EXPERIENCE: Danielle was a judge with the Canadian Figure Skating Association prior to coaching and has over twenty years of coaching experience. She teaches students from the basic skills to advanced levels. She enjoys working on technique for jumps, spins, and moves in the field. She is a graduate of the University of Windsor with a degree in Kinesiology and certificate in gerontology from Mercy College. Her primary focusing upon graduating was fitness training for the 50 plus population. She is currently the Director of Programs for the Wood County Committee on Aging.
She has completed her Gold Figures, Senior Silver Dances and her Junior Silver Freeskate.
Danielle is category B certified coach through USFSA.
Currently accepting new students
BACKGROUND & COACHING EXPERIENCE: Shelly’s professional skating career started in the late 1970s touring throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico with Holiday on Ice. Upon leaving show business she turned to coaching, running her own skating schools in Memphis, TN; Dubai, United Arab Emirates; and in Macau, China. Returning to the States she was the Director of the BGSC Junior Club for four years and the BGSU Group Lesson Program extending over fifteen years. Shelly Directed/Choreographed Ice Horizon’s 2003 Lion King, featuring the one and only Scott Hamilton and 2005’s Peter Pan, featuring Michael Weiss. But, possibly the highlight of this illustrious career has been training three local figure skaters who all competed nationally, including Alissa Czisny. Alissa earned the Gold at Nationals in 2009 and 2011. Shelly is a member and Gold certified judge with the Ice Skating Institute as well as a Professional member of Untied States Figure Skating (USFS). She continues to strive for excellence within herself as well as her students!
Head Pro for Silver Blades Figure Skating Club 2007-2013
2014 & 2015 Northwest Ohio’s event Ambassador for Skate for Hope.
Current Director of the Cube’s Learn to Skate program and
Coaches all BGSU & BGSC’s Figure Skating programming.
Cell Phone: 419-902-1645
To motivate and develop skills, artistry, and endurance in figure skaters of all ages and at all levels.
Professional Figure Skating Credentials
· United States Figure Skating gold medals in Figures and Freestyle (1977)
· United States Figure Skating Pre-Gold Dance
· Professional Skater’s Association Senior Ratings in Freestyle (1998)*
· Professional Skater’s Association Hockey Skating Accreditation Levels 1 and 2 (1997)*
· Established skating clubs: Southwest Michigan Skating Club and Kaleidoscope Skating Academy
· Developed, organized, and implemented skating programs, shows, and exhibitions for numerous skating organizations in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio
· Have taught USFS private and group skating lessons in the areas of figures, freestyle, dance, moves in the field, power stroking, and preliminary pairs to children from 18 months old through adulthood (1980-present)
· Numerous skaters have placed in Eastern Great Lakes Regional Competition in both singles and dance events (mid 1980s & early 1990s) -Former students went on to achieve international acclaim: Naomi Lang (2002 Olympics) and Charlie Butler (1998 Olympics)
· Chorus Skater with Ice Follies and Holiday on Ice, Magic Kingdom on Ice (1983-1984)
· BS in Elementary Education (1982); Masters in Educational Leadership and Supervision (2011)
· Licensed and experienced School Teacher for over 20 years.
* PSA Rating status is not currently active due to a lack of an immediate teaching need for reactivation.